where I am from, who I am

where I am from, who I am
The Congo - where I'm from, who I am

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Weekly Drop #6: The Facebook Fatigue: The Social Network becoming less social

“It was all good just a week ago”
-Jigga Man

As I write this, the popular social network Facebook has 700 million users and still growing.  Up until now, Facebook averaged about 20 million new users per month; however this figure is dropping fast.  You can call it the “Facebook fatigue”.   The social network website site added 11.8M new users in May, down from 13.9M in April.   In some Western countries, the diminution of new users is remarkable enough and Facebook should be concerned about its future.  Anyone remembers Tom and Myspace? (It was all good just a week ago)  In Canada alone, there was a drop of 1.52M users in May, meanwhile the UK, Norway & Russia all saw losses of more than 100,000 users.  The biggest drop happened in the United States, with a drop of 6M users since May.  Fortunately for Facebook, yours truly is still a devoted user - that is until I upgrade my old and scratched up Blackberry curve for the Iphone 4. (I heard that Apple is making major upgrades to its Twitter application by the way). 

 For the Facebook addicts, stop monitoring your friends list so closely.  If you realize that the number of friends is on the low (you got deleted), it’s imaginable that your Facebook friends opted for real life adventure instead; life goes on.  What I mean is: It shouldn’t come as a surprise if they ditch their accounts for good (I take my Facebook friends very seriously, can’t you tell?)  On a positive note, Facebook will be pleased about the addition of 11M Mexican new users who recently signed up (yes Facebook is somewhat new to Mexico, no joke).

I couldn’t help but reminisce about some of the fukkery (you can add this word to your repertoire, don’t forget to quote the source – me) which came with the phenomenon that is Facebook.  It seems people forget that once something is uploaded on the internet, it remains on the internet (even this amazing blog).  These Facebook” incidents “made me laugh, some had me shaking my head in disbelief (SMH as the cool people say), and at times I cried (from laughing hard of course).  Here are a few videos for your entertainment”:
Bangs- Meet me on Facebook




 
Father Gives His Nephew An Old School Azz Whoopin On Webcam For Acting Hard On Facebook


Father Goes Crazy When He See's Dirty Text Messages From A Boy All On His Daughter's Cell & Facebook


2 Arrested In Facebook Murder For Hire Plot In Philly


 Man Tries To Do Real-Life Facebook & Twitter


Woman Gets 152 Facebook Friends Tattooed On Herself


All jokes aside I could care less about the number of users on the Facebook network, I am one of them.  Quite frankly the man (Zuckerberg – the founder if you didn’t know) is already a legend in his own rights hence all through the slow death of Facebook, he’ll live.  His goal is still to reach 1 billion users which I’m sure he will accomplish.  Regrettably (not really) at this rate it’ll take longer than anticipated.  He’s a genius though so I’m sure he’ll find a way.  He could always cheat and create numerous bogus accounts until he reaches 1 billion on paper (perhaps he has already done so), but then again smart people don’t need to cheat.

No comments: